RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Does the Future Hold?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 05:59 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm thinking of the track record of the FAA. They haven't gotten it right on the first try every time in their entire history, but generally they make smart decisions. They've encouraged the aviation industry to grow while establishing reliable safety regulations. I've said it in other threads and will repeat it here- I highly doubt the FAA cares one whit about toy airplanes. As long as we aren't flying them near airports to bother full scale planes, they don't care. They showed this by doing us a solid on licensing the first time around. They had to do something due to public pressure, so they hit us up for $5 every 3 years and required us to put a sticker on our planes. That's not exactly onerous.
I know people are pretty cynical about the government, but honestly, common sense prevails most of the time. The vast majority of our laws make sense, and new regulations usually don't get passed without a thorough review. Corruption isn't a major issue here like it is in some places (not that it doesn't exist, but it always will), and in general the people who wind up on top know what they are doing. So sure, goofy ideas like the ones above might have been tossed around in a brainstorming session. That's what brainstorming is- say it even if it's stupid. But the decision making process works, and it's important to remember that these are human beings thinking this stuff out. They value their jobs, so they are going to consider who they'd alienate and inconvenience with their decisions. I think they'll do a good job of establishing basic safety requirements that stop the worst from endangering other people while allowing hobbyists to enjoy their toys.