RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Interestingly enough there is another memorial less than a mile away from the Ulster Tower which commemorates the British and South African Missing of the Battles of the Somme, most of whom would have been killed in 1916 and whose bodies have never been recovered or at least identified. It is a large structure. It has to be as it has over 72,000 names on it. A further 23,000, including my grandfather's cousin, were identifiable.

Trish told me that her great uncle, Richard Frank Arnold had been killed on the Somme. I did a little research on the Commonwealth War Graves website and found that he is indeed commemorated on the Memorial To The Missing. We were able to find his name and as it was inscribed low down on one of the panels, Trish was able to touch it. She was quite moved by the experience.

I sometimes sing and play the guitar at a bar near here. There is a Frenchman called Hervey who usually does a bit too. I put all of this information on Facebook and Hervey replied that his grandfather was killed during the Battle of the Somme a few months before his mother was born.

The Missing of the armies of Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, many of whom would have been born in the UK at the time, are recorded elsewhere.

We belong to a lucky generation don't we gentlemen?