RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tower Hobbies engine problems
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 12:10 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Hobbies engine problems

I must admit that the two Tower .46's that I have were broken in by W8YE. Even given the fact that they were ready to fly by his standards I was concerned with how tight they both were. I adjusted the needles slightly to compensate for altitude etc. I tried a few different props. and the one I have flown the most has been running with an APC 9x7. That's after about 200 ounces of fuel burned with a 9 1/2 x7N. I usually run a 10 ounce tank mostly at full throttle just letting it scream. It will run at any rpm range indefinitely and transition nearly as fast as the servo can move the throttle, that is you can do anything you want with the throttle at any attitude and it will not quit. It also shuts off instantly. It is still "squeaky" tight when it's cold. I can't believe that I am doing anything that different with mine. I haven't changed a needle since I changed props. and the ambient temp. here has changed 40 degrees in like two weeks.

I wonder if they changed tolerances somewhere or had a bad lot of carburetors or something on that order. I think members of the club where I fly are as skeptical as any group. At first people who were attracted to the way my plane ran puckered up when they found it was a Tower. Since then, last Spring, a lot more have surfaced and they are all great that I know of.

I have been repairing a lot of engines and rebuilding a lot of old Super Tigres. I would like to inspect your .46 for you to see if I can find the flaw. Even if it needs parts they are very reasonable. Besides that you need to keep the paperweight option open for your family...Christmas is approaching.

Take care, Cliff