RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 92" p-47 build thread
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Mike,
The tape is from Home Depot and, since it's used for duct work, they don't list the thickness.
I've used other brands and the duct tape is thicker than other brands.
Thicker may sound like a negative but I like the thicker tape as it's easier to apply. I found thinner to be a little more difficult to apply as it seems to be more sensitive to getting wrinkled before applying it to the surface. The thinner stuff does wrap around compound curves better.
For me, the extra weight is not a factor: when doing a 40 pound planes, if it weighs another pound due to paint/tape is not critical (and I'm guessing if it weighs another pound).
For me, it takes about 130 hours to put tape and rivets on a plane but, if you get any hanger rash, it's quick and easy to fix.
I never worry much about weight. A ziroli flies well whether it's 32 pounds or 42 pounds. Personally, I prefer heavier planes: the wind doesn't move them around as much, they seem to turn more scale and when they land, you don't have to worry about it floating back into the air. All I do is light aerobatics with warbirds and weight is not much of a factor for such maneuvers.

Last edited by samparfitt; 08-07-2019 at 01:04 PM.