RCU Forums - View Single Post - 5s battery pack comparison spreadsheet
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Bubblehead575

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great information. Thanks.

However there is a Major consideration that is hard to measure without the help of others (or a lot of money and time), and that is Quality (or Longevity). I have flown many of these at one time or other. I used to fly HK Zippy Compacts for the afore mentioned value. But something changed in the chemistry or QC, because when I replaced my packs after getting over 150 cycles per pack, without any failures, my next set of 6 packs,(12 5S packs) all failed between 30 and 55 cycles. None of the 5S packs even lasted 70 cycles.

I know you are not likely to find a battery brand that will not have failures (cell not balancing, high resistance cell, etc), But something has changed in the production of many of these batteries over the last 5+ years, as we are not getting the cycles we used to. I know when I get to the field and talk with other pattern flyers and the discussion turns to batteries, it is more about the number of cycles we are getting then anything else, Next comes weight, then price.

Without taking into consideration how many cycles you can get out of a brand you are only looking at the price to buy, and not value

Regards