RCU Forums - View Single Post - 5s battery pack comparison spreadsheet
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 02:48 PM
barnowljenx

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Flywilly - it took me around 4 years to really learn how to use the throttle when flying F3A. In the process, I burned out quite a few packs. I should also say that having started on a monoplane (EF Vanquish - great machine to start with) I then moved to a biplane, Oxai Amethyst, where the drag was considerably higher but you also needed to fly the aircraft more slowly as it was a biplane. Sounds obvious, but it takes time to learn all this stuff along with everything else that is going on in your brain.

I've just given away 2 flight packs (one a Zippy Compact with 96 cycles and one a Turnigy with 90 cycles) where voltage balance was good and IR still in the high teens. I would never have imagined that when I started F3A. The other point is that buying expensive packs may mean they last longer (though there is no guarantee of that) but they may not last as long as the percentage increase in price. I use either 20C or 25C packs but you could use higher C packs but they come with a weight penalty. Everything in aerospace is a compromise.

As for recommendations on what to buy, best to try some of the folk like F3A Unlimited and others of their ilk for a good combination of price and performance trade off. I've seen some folks using Hobby King motors and ESCs in a 2 mtr quite successfully. We are all guilty of wanting the best kit but rarely does our flying live up to the quality of the kit! So, take a good look at your flying ability and do yourself a favour by not splurging on the best to begin with. Better still, consider buying a second hand bird that has been tried and tested. F3A airframes hold their looks and value much more than run of the mill airplanes. I think I've only bought new on one occasion and have never regretted the choice.