RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Stick 10cc - Jumping into Twins
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 08:26 AM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin Ultra Stick has Flown

I got her out to the field and made three flights yesterday (Sunday, August 11, 2019). I must say she flies different than any other plane I have..

The photos below include a quick catch up on the final location of the electronics for balance at the recommended 4-1/2 inches. The switch was not mounted yet, because I put her on the balance/CG machine one more time before I drilled the hole through the fuselage.

I spent the rest if the evening outside with the twin on a run-up table working on checking the high-speed needles and setting the low-speed needles. I got everything close, but was having some bubbles show up in the right engine. So I called it a day and replaced the internal fuel pickup line in that tank.

The next morning I spent about two hours setting up the throttle curves to match. Idle at 2,500, mid-stick at 6,000 and full about 9,500-9,700. I also went through the curve and matched the remaining points/rpm (7-point curves) through the stick movement.

The maiden flight went pretty well.. I had someone there to help hold the plane for startup, checking the throttle setting/rpm and to check the engines holding the plane straight up. No lean run aiming straight up, but I did end up seeing some bubbles in that orientation.. I think there is possibly some vibration or cavitation going on at the max throttle. I don't see any bubbles before full throttle. And, I don't see bubbles when the plane is level at full throttle (most of the time).. I'll keep looking at that.

taking off she did not track straight by any means.. I definitely had to keep working the rudder both directions to keep the plane going close to the center of the runway.. Ok, I was actually using more like 2/3 of the runway width for my take off runs [laugh].. In flight only took a couple clicks of aileron to keep the wings level.. However it did take several clicks of up elevator..

She is NOT overpowered by any means [laugh].. She will fly, but it is going to be a very "scale" flying plane.. Most of the flight is at 3/4 throttle and she will loop from level at full throttle.. Definitely a little heavy; the loop looks more like a 'Figure 9'...

Back on the ground I adjusted the control linkages to re-center the servos. The elevator sits up about 3/16-inch to provide level flight. However, inverted it just needs a little down elevator to fly level.. Not too bad for a 'scale' flying airplane..

After the three flights; I'm pretty happy with how the plane is flying. It was meant to teach me how to fly the future DC-3 (C-53) project; and it should do that well.

The last couple of photos are at the flying site After the first flight was done - Proof of Life [laugh]..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics Location.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	2264981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Balance.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	573.4 KB
ID:	2264982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin Field1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	871.0 KB