RCU Forums - View Single Post - MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 03:49 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I thought I’d post the setup I'm using for my Moki 300. This setup is working GREAT so I thought some of you might be interested.

This is a 300 I bought lightly used. I don't think it was ever flown - it looks brand new. First thing I did is add synthetic gear oil to the cam case. Less than an ounce. The black (molybdenum?) grease is pretty "loose" so gear oil may not be necessary but I wanted the lube to spring instantly into action (after long sitting periods) so I thinned it a bit. Then I disconnected the air pump and added a Powerfuel RX fuel pump. I then rigged up a mix on my DX18 that constantly varies the speed of the pump with throttle position. So cool.

Now to power up the ignition and pump: around here the 3D boys are running Tech Aero IBEC units to power their ignitions right off the radio batteries. Triple filtered and optically isolated, they have built up an outstanding record of reliability when added to a powersafe setup like the Spektrum powersafe receivers. SO - I've got one IBEC running the ignition and one running the fuel pump. This means I will have just TWO BIG 2s lipos running my entire aircract with power safe redundancy. I know I'll hear from the skeptics at this point :-)

The video shows me in the process of balancing the SL prop. It is nothing less than a big piece of jewelry. And you'll also see, the whimpy test stand I built is NOT up to full power running. I underestimated the brute power of this thing. It's a BEAST. But the handling characteristics are just superb. It works like this: radio on, pump on, choke on, prop until it pops, choke off and then 3 or 4 blades later it's running. Just a p*ssycat. Until you advance that throttle. . .

Last edited by mitchilito; 08-18-2019 at 04:05 AM.