View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 02:27 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks, Mike,
================

Main gear doors (cont)

The bottom door to the oleo was drilled/tapped and secured with three 4/40 machine screws.

Robart pocket hinges used on the inner door.

While building the plane, I failed to provide some 'meat' for the door hinges so I had to cut the top wing sheeting and epoxy in some balsa blocks.
One nice thing about aluminum tape is the surface repair will be very easy

All's working, after much tinkering!
With the shrink bar reducing the gear length by 1 5/8", attaching the upper gear door on a hinge and using a linkage on the oleo was not working as too much movement between the upper door and the oleo.
I attached the upper door to the lower door and made a long slot at the top of the upper door so a screw would guide the door during operation. I drilled/tapped into the oleo for the machine screw. This seems to work well. I can make the upper part of the door longer but will have to make it a little narrower as the door moves towards the gear frame and needs to go between the two sides of the frame (not like anyone is going to see that, anyway!).

I had to put some notches in the wing sheeting to allow for the door linkages but, since the linkages are removed, those notches can be 'filled in'.

The two linkages where the door end would have to travel 1 5/8" from closed to open position.

Shrink bar to compress oleo in the UP position.

Last edited by samparfitt; 08-23-2019 at 02:31 PM.