RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 04:20 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm incorporating something that I've never done before in any build. The ailerons are going to operate without any visible linkage. This will be accomplished using a Rotary Drive System (RDS) that has been used by the slope gliding community for some time now. It hasn't been popular in RC scale building, and I'm not really sure why that is. I did a lot of research on the best way to accomplish this task and settled on this method. It was important to my partner Bob and I, as our goal to enter this plane in various scale competitions deduct points for any visible linkages. Not happy with what was on the market for purchase, we decided to make most of the components to fit our needs. Luckily Bob's nephew Scot, is a machinist and made the drive shafts for us! I will be sure to explain the steps involved as well as document each step with pictures to make the process more clear and hopefully brig some attention to this method of actuation...

The servo bracket is bolted to the plywood mount which will get epoxied between the rib bays that I reinforced.

The drive shaft is connected to the splined servo output shaft through a coupler. At this point I'm only trying to determine where the drive shaft will exit the wing's trailing edge.

Using a pencil, I'm marking the exit position of the drive shaft.

The pencil lines indicate the exit position.

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-07-2019 at 11:53 PM.