RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vortex F3A build thread
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 AM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,
Just curious - how long is the wing tube in the wing?
Why I ask is because I have a plane (Galactika made from factory late 2015 or early 2016) that has a wing tube length of only 145 millimeter that goes into a wing half, and that has caused bending forces on the wing skin structure so cracks appeared. The manufacturer later modified this so the wing tube is longer now. As comparison on a 2M Sebart MythoS Pro (that I have also) the wing tube length in one wing on that is about 240 mm.
Just thought I would mention this just in case. Maybe You are sure that wing tube length is enough on the Vortex. But it seems maybe little short length in the images You posted? Great wing structure so far in the photos. It will be interesting to see the weight of a ready built and covered wing half later.

/Bo
That's a very good remark Bo, i often wondered myself how some models can get away with such short wingtubes. It saves some weight i suppose but the shorter the wingtube is, the larger the effort in the supporting ribs so the structural failure risk is higher.

When designing the Vortex wing i added some plywood doublers to the ribs supporting the wingtube so the loads are distributed to the secondary spar and the balsa sheeting. The secondary spar is connected to the main spar through the strong wingroot rib (made of 3mm liteply) and through the plywood rib doubler at the end of the wingtube. This creates quite a strong structure i think and i'm not sure there's more to be done to increase wing strength.

The length of the wingtube inside the Vortex wing is 220mm, which is on the safe side in my opinion (see attached screenshot).