RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a Hooben T55 As Close to RTR as I can Get -
Old 09-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc780
I have been lusting after the Hooben T55 since I knew they were available. I have seen the kits sold by several people on Ebay, one on Amazon, and at least 2 on Ali Express (of course, at least a couple sellers are on more than one site). This model is available in about 3 versions: as a 1/16 static kit, and at least two iterations of the motorized model. These usually come with the motors, the tracksets (that you put together one link at a time - no frills here!) and at least some of the wiring. The instructions are minimal, all in Chinese with line drawings and no English translations - anybody who's built one can vouch these are very much "steep learning curve" kits.

Someone's well-made Hooben T55 in Iraqi camo from Iran-Iraq War

Another 1/35 scale T55, in a common camo pattern of T-55's of the Middle East; Desert sand with Russian armor green

The static kit is of course not the one I want, naturally. The motorized KIT (in large letters to emphasize they don't make any ready to run T-55's or at least, not cheap ones) are just a pile of parts with the bare minimum hardware and radio components: No servos, no wiring sets (extra), no battery, etc. The hardware is very different from Heng Long or even Tamiya and seems to work with few others... While Hooben does offer a HL style receiver and transmitter (they're not compatible with many other similar gear - maybe not even their own for all I know about it). The T55 comes with, and accepts, R/C aircraft style servos - or so I have been told; they're not compatible with Tamiya, HL, Taigen, nobody's.

I'm looking for advice, tips, and anything else that can steer me towards what I want (or modifying another RTR Hooben T55). Anyway here's my dilemma: the type and amount of work I can do on the hobby anymore is a sore spot, no pun intended. I have work-related back pain (from 40 years automotive) that is very limiting. As things are now I can still drive my tanks (at the moment I have an HL Panther G and a T-90, plus the HL M1 Abrams, and that's all), i can do light maintenance chores/repairs, and even airbrushing/weathering (my favorite part anyway except for driving them). But I still want to own a driving and functioning T55! I have contacted Dark Horse Hobby, "Thor-robotics" , and one other firm from Ali Express to see what an RTR type T55 would cost me - or as close to RTR as I can get. Here's the problem, try as I might to word what it is I want (As close to an RTR T-55 as I can get) something always seems to get lost in translation. On some of the web pages it'll say "hand-built by a Hooben master craftsman - " but when I email them trying to get clarification on what it means and what exactly you get with these "hand built" tanks the person emailing me back winds up seemingly contradicting themselves. I tell them exactly what I want and somehow few of them can confirm or deny or give me the same answer without getting their wires crossed. You wouldn't think it'd be so hard to get people to take your money, or to make the product they at least infer they can provide.. yet I'm leery of paying $600-700 and NOT getting a T55 ready to run, and having to ship it all the way back (to China) and swallow a large return shipping bill!.

My question is, of all the places that make RTR models and/or offer the kit versions, who makes the closest thing to what I'm looking for (RTR - or the closest thing to same available)??? WHO has experience with these tank makers and has gotten an RTR out of the box, turn key T55?
With Hooben it is a gamble when trying to understand their online product descriptions, there is KIT, ARTR, RTR and then there is ARTR KIT, RTR KIT. They might use two different terms on the same product page such as RTR then down a few lines RTR KIT. So yes their translations can be frustrating. Emails with them rarely returned with clear answers even when you send inquires in the most basic of english wording that a five year old would understand.

One solution is to purchace the mid level kit with motors and gearbox and have someone build it for you. There are many on this forum that are very trustworthy and can build your Hooben from the very basic no frills, no paint with HL electronics and performance to the most advanced aftermarket controls and outstanding paint jobs. It will cost you, but you will have a running T55. Ok that said the T55 is not a hard tank to build if you keep it to the HL level of basics. Being you have a background in auto repair it should go together rather smoothly as most of the hard part is turning a screwdriver and very basic wiring if using a HL MFU. The rest is simple plastic model building with glue and paint.

You should expect the cost including the tank to run at least $500 if you build it to the HL basic level yourself. If you have it built for you then expect the cost to be twice to three time more depending on what you have the builder do. I saw that you mentioned you live in Ca. If you are in the SoCal area there are members of the LA Tank club and San Diego Tank club that are excellent builders and could have you up running and even fighting your T55 and HL tanks in no time.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 09-16-2019 at 09:49 AM.