Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 PM
richbran

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The nose gear isn't Your problem, it is designed wrong, the full unloaded position is much too far straight. I tried it also but one would probably have to figure out some kind of maximum extended stop in order to attain something scale like ground position and I wonder it then You have any upward/backward swinging left.
The P180 is just perfect for the job, if I could I would swap my P160 for a P180 anytime. The 160 is OK, but off wet grass I could do with a little more ummmpfff.
You have probably bought the P180 used, as normally they come with an original JetCat ECU. I don't know if JetCat has a good service center in the US, You might ask what a service costs, including an ECU. In all it is an expensive bird, You have to be sure about the reliability of the engine. It is also a heavy model, so possibly dangerous, I take no shortcuts in safety.
As I live close to Germany, it is less cumbersome to send it in to the factory if I run into some problems.

The demon...I fly it w/o any stabilization, absolutely not necessary, it is a stable bird. But the Demon is a good unit, I use them in two choppers.

The red light on top of the rudder is in full size a rotating beacon (or flashing nowadays), You can buy those in several sizes, as with MANY other modellers in Europe, we install the products of Unilight.at I have chosen my own separate units, however they sell also as sets. But a full blown system would set You off a few hundred euros...Service from them is outstanding, in the past I even got answers to mails during weekends... A good 2S Lipo with minimum 2500 MaH will do..
A few contributions back at number 396's pictures one can see them in bright daylight. I have found that with less than optimum visibility they really enhance one's view on pitch and bank angle. Especially when You can only see a silhouette, not being able to recognize top from under side. A real killer flying jet models. But In good light the difference in discriminating top from under side is tremendous well because of the complete different color scheme.
But I would test fly it w/o too much work, nice to do things, can be done later.

If the CG is about right (too many modellers talk about THE CG, which is not correct, all planes have a CG RANGE), For this jet it can be easily 5-6 cm. You can adjust to Your liking as a result of test flights. As long as You will not be too far aft, nothing serious will happen.
At the backside of the range it will become more sensitive on elevator, too far in front the Elev will become "Heavy" and You will need more Elev in roundout and flare during landing. As I fly many times with my son, he prefers a slightly more aft CG position in our models, I opt mostly for a more conservative front position.
Remember the original can be flown with different tanks, fuel capacity (not all exactly in the CG), and with 1 or 2 pilots. There is not one full size airplane I know of that has ONE CG position, all have a RANGE, to be precise an "envelope".

I note You have only one air bottle installed, I use three, as I always separate the brake system from the gear. Air tubing running to the brake pads is vulnerable to get damaged, depleting the system after T/O as a worst case, right after retracting the gear. For the gear itself I use two bottles coupled together, as it uses quite a bit of air during one full cycle. I would recommend to aim for 5 cycles before the systems starts to gets too slow for comfort. I start at 8 BAR. Mine looses a bit of air during flight, cannot find the leak.
Plus I operate the ventral air brake with an air cylinder as well, which gets air pressure from the brake air system. See it extended upon landing in my 396 contrib. It extends via a mixer when I select full flap, but would I have to make a gear UP landing, I can switch the mixer off and hope for less damage. Great to extend it, the model starts to whistle!

Good luck with the first flight.
Richard