My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Talking

Good morning AllModeR/C perhaps I can provide some additional thoughts to this conversation. When in the early heyday ofI I/C engines for model aircraft mufflers were never even a consideration, not even as an after thought except possibly as some form of deflecter to keep gunk off of the airplane.This lasted all the way thru the late fifties when it was realized backpressure from some form of muffler could be used to improve fuel delivery as well as throttling of RC engines.

At this point in the sixties some manufacturers started providing mufflers as accessories, these were generally of the strap on type to fit engine exhaust bosses not intended for mufflers. Any real seal was impossible but not needed. It was not until the late sixties and early seventies that many manufacturers started to build their engines with sealable exhaust bosses on their manifolds and most followed. It was at this point that many also started including gaskets (but not All).

In the next twenty years or so a reversal of this occurred when manufacturers realized that most new engines ended up with an exhaust gasket only being used just once in their lives when new. Now fast forward to more recent times when production of new glow engines seems to be going extinct (depressingly so). I am not aware of any that may include and exhaust gaskets.

Another factor which indeed affects the seal of an exhaust manifold and that is the quality of the machining of the seats. As an example OS in their more mature years were among the best and on the other end of the scale were the Super Tiger engines that used the water pipe mufflers were the worst. These were the ones
that the mufflers looked like cast iron water pipe.

Now If I may offer one little trick to improve any engines seal of the muffler manifold. It involves no goop or lots of work. Just remove the muffler and lay some #400 to #600 Wet or Dry with a bit of oil wiped over it on a an iron (or steel) machine table such as a drill press for example. Now just a bit of working the mufflers manifold seal surface over this held flat to the surface will improve the seal, even just doing only the muffer. If the engine is not mounted also doing this to the engine's muffler seal surface improves things even more.

Also judging from virtually all the responders in your thread The vast majority of us who still use glow engines just never bothered or was a gasket ever really needed.

Just one last thought (I promise) Dawn Power Dissolver will work wonders over the old dangerous and labor intensive radiator coolent/crockpot method to clean our engines of the gunk that oozes out every corner of our glow engines. Not just the muffler manifold seam.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 09-28-2019 at 11:33 AM.