RCU Forums - View Single Post - Getting back into RC planes
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 12:48 PM
grandcanyonaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into RC planes

I use to fly RC planes back in college (mid 80s). Naturally, they didn't have electric back then as I used glow fuel. They really didn't have buddy boxes back then unless you had an expensive radio as the instructor would take the controls from your hands and try to right the plane. I busted a couple of planes up and never got back into it and never really followed the hobby again until just this week as I have time now to start flying again. I still have a Royal .40 engine but I'm not sure it works so I'll probably go electric. I don't think Royal still makes engines. Not sure who still does as all I am seeing is OS.

Futaba was the big name in the 80s. I had an AM radio before they changed the frequency. Pretty much the radio was tied with the servers but it looks different now as you bind the radio to the plane so I assume this means you can use any radio with any servers. Also, I can't tell if you still have to worry about frequency issues or do the radios change them on the fly. It looks like Spektrum is the major player now.

I emailed my local chapter and they offer flying lessons. They use the Apprentice airplane but they said they have taken out the SAFE technology. I thought the SAFE technology is a good idea but I can understand why purist wouldn't like it. How does the SAFE work? Does it help? Also, some have GPSs. Is this worth it? Does the autoland really work? Could you really by one of these planes and teach yourself or will you still probably crash them up? How easy are the foam planes to repair?

I've been using the Absolute RC app simulator on the Android to practice not sure if this really helps.