RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jerry Bates P-51B Build "Hell Yes Let's Go!!!"
Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People seeing this fly keep asking if I have the engine hopped up because of it's outstanding performance. It is bone stock out of the box. I don't even mess with the carb mixture screws. I believe that the difference in performance is due to my attention to detail. I try to keep the slipstream drag to minimum, especially engine cooling drag. This is why I went to the trouble to build another wing when I saw the flight controls adjusted out-of-alignment for level flight. The plane didn't seem to have that effortless ability to fly at high speeds with low throttle settings. The new wing has that now. Once in the air and cleaned up it cruises part throttle at the same speeds as other war birds and still has lots of throttle for high speed acceleration and vertical climbs. In a shallow dive at about 40% throttle it will reach prop rip speed. It isn't going to go any faster than that with full throttle, but having the extra power available for vertical maneuvers makes for spectacular large loops and rolling vertical climbs.

After many years flying all of the other brand Mustangs I finally have the one with a clear performance advantage. Now, if I can quiet the exhaust a little it will be perfect.