RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a kit... do they still do that?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:30 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, Tamiya still makes kits, but some of the prices on them are outta whack for what you get IMO. I started out with The Frog when they first came out. I think I paid around $80 for The Frog. If you plug that figure into an inflation calc, you get $197.54...that's seems outrageous to me now.

Over the years, I've come to appreciate what goes into a fully fledged racing platform...even when just bashing. Sometimes it's hard for a person to go backwards in technology once they have a taste of newer stuff that's available.

Sure, an all plastic Tamiya kit can fill a void. I was in the mood for a 1/10 4wd buggy once more (my last one was an Optima, and the re-release is overpriced). It's funny you mentioned the TT-02B chassis. That was my choice as well when I started searching for a fun running Tamiya. I had a Neo Scorcher (metallic pink) in one of my wish lists. The price was right ($115-ish), and while waiting for them to be released, my backyard track conditions changed. I've given up on buggies, at the moment, solely because of ground clearance limitations.