RCU Forums - View Single Post - Horizon Hobby Flight School
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 02:13 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I got the original mailing soliciting AMA instructors several months ago. Still on the fence about putting my name out there...

One of my clubs has a robust training program....
As a beginner, I would be p***ed to find out I just paid $20 to Horizon for a 3 month membership in the AMA, when the club offers a FREE 2 month Intro Pilot membership sponsored by the AMA. Who gets the $20??? Did Horizon just make more money...or the AMA?
As an Instructor, I'm not keen on having to keep track of two different training standards. Sure, the subject matter is generally the same, but the courses of instruction will have their differences....
By putting my name out for the Horizon program, I'm effectively endorsing/promoting their products. And committing a block of time to doing it. For a 15% discount off of MSRP?

Now, if Horizon used their program to offer students a free 2 or 3 month AMA membership...perhaps even kicking in a small donation to the AMA for each beginner that signed up...
And if I as an Instructor have to attest that I will cover prescribed topics, but can do it in the way I (or my clubs training program) sees fit....
And if Horizon had a program to have instructors earn a free Apprentice (or whatever) for their club to use as a club trainer.....
THEN I would be all in to participate!

This has all the hallmarks of an eager young marketing intern...coupled with likely inattention by the AMA over the integration of the program into their other initiatives. Not well thought out....
But, it might have a small advantage of me promoting my other club, that has no defined training program....hence my being on the fence.