RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 10-23-2019, 03:24 PM
5th GeeBee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woke up this morning determined to finalize the FWs and square the gear. Let me preface this by saying "NOTHING IS STRAIGHTFORWARD ON THIS BUILD". Thanks to Richard, I realized I couldn't finalize anything without taking into consideration the dihedral. It needs to be 4.5 deg on each wing. It's hard enough to get the FWs all evenly tensioned without having to consider dihedral angles to 1/2 of a degree. It can be done! I started by squaring the left side gear with a level. This only works if the plane is level so I used the main bulkhead spar as a reference. To square the gear, I had to remove and adjust the tabs several times and it turned out the gear reliefs on the wing were insufficient. To make a long story a little shorter, none of my FW settings were correct. Slowly but surely, after many mounts, remounts and remounts again, this time using a digital level, I managed to get all the FWs evenly tensioned at 4.5 deg. dihedral. It took over 8 hrs but it came out perfect. Do Not Trust Your Eyes To Set The Dihedral!! I had thought I had it close but one wing was at 7 deg and the other at 6. Yesterday I completed the throttle linkage, set the timing on the 3W, and did half the pull-pull on the rudder/ tailwheel. Waiting for an aluminum servo arm to complete it. Pics to follow.
Thanks again to Josh AND Richard.
Everybody Crashes but I'm hoping not me this time..........Mark

Last edited by 5th GeeBee; 10-23-2019 at 03:29 PM.