RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread
Old 10-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

@ DSA44
So close!
I don’t recall if you have flown one of these before but you will see pretty quickly what the Corsair will let you get away with and what it won’t.
For your maiden I highly recommend you add a little power over idle and let it accelerate to the point the tail has authority. Then start adding more power. If you add too much power while it’s rolling slowly it will loop on you or veer off. The rudder is too small to do anything until it has quite a bit of air speed. Then the rudder is all but useless above a certain speed. The rudder is most effective in the landing pattern and you really should use it to line up on center to land while keeping the wings level. If you use too much aileron things get sporty at slower speeds so use the rudder more than you use the ailerons to adjust the approach.
The flaps work! When you get there you might find a small flap elevator mix around 10%. Full flaps are very effective and can get you in trouble so you need to get used to the characteristics up high and do some stalls with full flap. On windy days you can easily use half or zero flap. With full flaps you might notice significantly reduced rudder and elevator effectiveness just after touchdown. It’s good to raise the flaps right away because they blank out the tail.
The Corsair is pretty docile if you understand what it likes to do. It has a pretty broad range of control at slow speeds especially. I had to abort a landing on a windy day and I got blown way off coarse. Low and slow and gusty all the wrong things came together! Added power kept it under control and narrowly avoided disaster but the plane never stalled or snapped out of shape. I was shocked, I thought for sure it was going in. I had a DLE 55RA in it at the time. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have had the same result with the Saito FG84, too heavy.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to your maiden flight video and success!