RCU Forums - View Single Post - Larger planes more stale?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 01:48 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with you, Speed, 100%. Setup is the biggest factor. I bought a Sweetater to fly SPA with a couple of years ago. The guy I bought it from said it didn't fly well and gave me a good price on it. I figured I was pretty good at flight trimming, so I could probably get it at least tolerable. He had the CG at the neutral point where the plane would hold an inverted 45 degree upline. I moved it 1/4 inch forward of that for my first day of flying it to be safe, and found the plane got tossed around like a sheet of paper in the turbulent Texas wind. It was also snappy in the stall tests I did, and needed me on the elevator constantly on landings to maintain a good glide. I would up moving the CG forward by 3/4 inch, a pretty big change on a 12 inch chord wing. That settled the plane right down and made it a joy to fly. Yes, it needs a mix to do knife edge flight properly and requires down elevator to hold an inverted line now, but I am totally cool with that if I means I'm not constantly chasing the plane throughout the flight.