RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 11:41 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe all the cave Bears are busy prepping for hibernation and their Thanksgiving feast?
1) Single engine
2) Between the wars time frame
3) A "Private Venture" design
4) I was inspired to use this aircraft for our quiz, after a friend had asked me about the "Shakey Jake" engine that we had worked on (many moons ago) while going to A&P / AMT school. I found, while looking at the Wiki page for it, that there was a link to the engine used on our quiz aircraft. They are of a similar configuration...the number of cylinders, physical dimensions, etc.
5) Our aircraft in question was manuf. by a fairly well known company that (perhaps for the time being anyway) is part of the EU...
6)Just wanted to clarify that the Jacobs engine was not the one used on our aircraft in question, but was inspiration after following a link.
7) One prototype was of wooden construction...and one of metal...
8) The wooden fuselage was moulded, and nicely streamlined...looks almost racer-like IMO.
9) The county of origin is not listed as an "operator" of the aircraft, however, 2 later to be adversarial (to put it mildly) countries are listed as operators.
10) Single seat, however Piaggio liscense built a 2 seat version prototype...only one built.
11) Biplane...
12) Constant chord, equal span wings...ailerons on both wings...
13) Armament listed as 2 x .303 machine guns...
14) 2 were ordered and tested by the IJNAF in 1930
15) Minor confusion....another source list the IJAAF not the Navy...which would make more sense...
16) Canada expressed interest, briefly, to use as an advanced trainer, but didn't follow through...
17) Despite it's nice flying characteristics, and good performance it got no contracts...