RCU Forums - View Single Post - Long range / flight time with parallel batteries & other questions
Old 12-07-2019, 12:51 PM
MD_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
If you are in the USA you need to go to the FAA's website and read part 107 , which your intended non line of sight operations are now governed by .
I am aware of this - and do not intend to really use it outside of the law, and probably would only do test flights within line of sight like the law allows. It is more the tech I am interested in rather than a real purpose, so I won't be using to fly in ways that are not allowed.

Originally Posted by jester_s1
3D printing the major components of model planes is practically all drawbacks and no benefits. Yes, it's been done. But it's not better, easier, or faster.
Well while I understand that there are more common and practical materials out there - the 3D printing is really what has my attention not just for this plane idea, but many other things I think would be interesting to try and create with it. Some modern printers create very solid and tough prints, and some materials are relatively light (compared to more common PLA or ABS) although they would likely be heavier still than some other materials like balsa wood.

Before even thinking about the project you want to do, you should learn how planes fly first. The goal you are setting for yourself is something that experienced pilots, Ph.D credentialed professors, and manufacturers with dedicated research teams can't do yet. Start with a properly built off the shelf plane so you can learn how to fly it. No, you can't just skip to autonomous flight so you don't have to learn anything. Autonomous systems aren't foolproof, so you will sometimes have to take manual control. Also, you'll still have to set up your autonomous system, which you can't do if you don't understand basic flight.
You make good points here, and yes I do understand there is a good bit of learning I will have to do to get up to speed, or even stand a chance to lift of the ground let alone reach some sort of nice flight range - but that certainly won't stop me from trying.

Don't try to create your own flight controller. The Pixhawk can do all of the things you are talking about with autonomous control, GPS waypoints set with a laptop and a ground station.
Yes I wouldn't be trying to create one of my own - I am not good enough to create something like a Pixhawk on my own, and will be relying on pre-created and tested software and hardware entirely, even if I do change a bit of code to fit my application, but again I am experienced with programming and that will likely be the easiest aspect for me to get done.

30 miles isn't possible with hobby grade products. 4-5 miles from where you took off is at the outer edge of the range for the radio gear and FPV equipment we have. Most can't get that far away reliably.
This is certainly discouraging. I am aware of the limitations of the 4-5 miles of consumer radio gear - but as far as I could tell there were battery/motor combinations that would provide longer, perhaps slower times in the air. Is that not true?

On the topic of more batteries for more range- basic flight physics tells us that with more weight we get more drag. With more drag, more power is required to keep flying, which uses up your batteries faster. There is a point when adding battery capacity where you actually reduce your flight time. That break even point depends on a lot of variables, but it's an issue that all aircraft, model and full scale too, have to work around.
I was hoping with a certain amount of lift, and strength on the motor, I can reach potentially far distances with the parallel batteries - I wonder if going with a custom made battery pack with many high quality cells rather than several consumer packs, if that limit could be pushed?

I love seeing your ambition and interest in planes and autonomous technology. Understand though that there are steps to getting where you want to be, and they will all cost money and time. An initial investment in a plane like the Hobby King Bixler and a FrSky Taranis radio will let you learn basic piloting, and it's a popular platform for FPV when you are ready. You won't be ready in your first week, probably not in your first month in the hobby. I'm sure there is someone who has set up a Bixler for autonomous flight, but the weight is going to become a problem very quickly on something that small.
Hmm well while I don't really like the idea of starting with a pre-created body I suppose that may be something to consider especially with the weight of printed materials.

I appreciate all your replies guys, thanks for sharing your insight, even if its not necessarily what I am hoping to hear! :P