RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba Tx / Rx HELP
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 01:26 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Futaba Tx / Rx HELP

Congratulations on your new radio and your plans to go e-gliding.

The range will be more controlled by the receiver than the radio. The transmitter can probably send out 2 miles, or as far as you can see. It is the specs on the receiver that you need to check.

I can't talk from the Futaba FM/PPM receiver line, but I can speak of the Hitec FM/PPM line which is compatible with the Futaba radiol Both Hitec and Futaba are designated as "negative shift" which has to do with how the radio sends its codes on 72 MHZ. No need to understand it, you just need to know that your radio is negative shift. This is often refered to as Futaba/Hitec compatible.

Hitec Feather - 1000' - I would not use this for a thermal glider/sailplane
Hitec micro 555, Electron 6, Super Slim 8, Shift Select and Supreme 8 are all 1 Mile Plus - Any of these would be good for thermal soaring. The Micro 555 has long been popular among glider pilots if 5 channels is enough for your plane.

Many of the GWS receivers are also compatible with the Futaba radio, bu I would not recommend most of them for a glider/sailplane as their range is somewhat limited. Their 8 channel might be suitable for thermal gliders.

The GWS 4 channel receivers are generally 500' or less range
The GWS 6 channel receivers are about 1500' feet.
Not sure about their 8 channel, but it think it is 1 Mile, like the Hitec receivers.

If you are going to thermal fly gliders/sailplanes I would make the following range suggestions.

For a two meter plane, I would suggest at least a 2500'/half mile range. I fly some of my 2 meter planes with a Hitec AM radio with 3000 foot range and have speced them out many times with no range issues.

For anything larger than 2 Meters, I would suggest you stay with the the full mile range receivers.

You can't have too much range, but you can have too little.

Good luck with your new radio and your soaring.