RCU Forums - View Single Post - My winter project.
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 09:19 PM
IA-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My winter project.

Hope I wrote this so it makes some since! I did a google and came up blank.

The radio “wave” is much like a wave in a pond.
A water wave is vertical, so is a normal dipole omni with the antenna facing down and plane is flying level. If you turn the antenna on its side the wave it produces will be horizontal (vertical climb, roll or dive).
For best reception the polarization of the TX and RX antennas should match, if they don’t signal strength will reduce.
A MP (multi polarity) antenna has both vertical and horizontal elements. A circular polarized antenna has an element shaped like a spiral, and comes either in right hand or left hand spirals and the spiral should be matched for best reception. They can also be used with a single polarity antenna on one end, but at about a 3dBi decrease in overall antenna gain (from my understanding).

Most all antennas are designed to produce a pattern to send the signal just to the area needed. The dish shape of a satellite dish creates a very narrow focused beam. A rubber duck omni antenna like on a video transmitter or a portable phone makes a doughnut pattern for good reception all around the antenna. But the key is “all around” for 99.9% of the population sending the signal above and below is wasted energy, so that signal is focused to the sides at the expense of top and bottom coverage.

The only reason an antenna like the bullet exists is because people like to save money. They have more than one floor in their house or business with a computer, and want to use a single wireless access point for the network transmission instead of one on every floor.
That’s why I like 2.4GHz, there is a lot of development done on the computer side and we use the same frequency range.

Corrections welcome!