RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Plane Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 09:44 PM
phillipsmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Plane Suggestions

I am new to the world of model aviation in planes, I have done helis in the past. I purchased G2 sim about 3 months ago and have been practicing about an hour a day for the last 3 months with different settings (read planes, weather, wind, etc.) and feel pretty confident. After this new found confidence I went to the local hardware store (Ace) to get some things and found that they had R/C stuff (evidently the manager is a huge R/C buff) and picked up a Firebird Outlaw. I flew that plane about 10 times and got pretty good with it, no major crashes (tough to control without elevator); except flying it into the lightpole at the local fields a few times. That plane got boring so I boxed it up and sent it to my nephews. I then purchased the Aerobird and have flown that about 20 times successfully and have only had to replace the wing once. Now I want to step up to something a little more exciting. Part of me wants the Alfa P-51 but my smarter half tells me that that would spell disaster until I get more flights with something more along the lines of a trainer under my belt. Does anybody have any suggestions? My LHS doesn't help much, they see me and see $$$. And I fly in the local fields so I don't belong to a club, so if any of you have any suggestions I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Mike