RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Kit??
Thread: First Kit??
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Patriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Kit??

Suggestions here can be endless. But here goes.

It depends on your building skills. if you want a bit of a challenge, you can do what I did. I used to fly and build years ago and have been out of the hobby for quite a while but I didn't want to get back into it with a cheap ARF trainer, yet need something fairly easy to fly.
So after a bit of discussion here, and talking with the guy at the LHS, I bought a Balsa USA Citabria Pro. It is a slow flier, and in kit form, it is a real builder, but can be built with just the basic tools needed and a good flat building board. Many of the parts, like formers and ribs etc are all die cut. But some carving and sanding is needed, especially for the wing tips. So, patience is a virtue here.
Anyway, from everyone who has had one, they all say it will fly like a trainer, but it is a citabria, so you can have some real fun with it if desired.
I am done framing up mine, and in the process of installing servos etc, then I will cover with koverall and paint. I will be posting a thread here on construction when just about complete.

if you have never built a plane before, then something much easier may be in order. I don't want you to get discouraged by building something too difficult to start with. I love to hear ARf fliers getting into building. It is a good sign to see that the older ways of the hobby are not totally dead, and that you want to go further into this hobby by building a plane. Kudos to you.

Patriot