RCU Forums - View Single Post - Blackwidow or Tinywireless radio?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 12:51 AM
yb2normal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blackwidow or Tinywireless radio?

Thanks skypilot, I appreciate the kind words.

For anyone interested in putting together a turnstile at 2.4ghz, take a look at the work done by www.cyber-flyer.com for some good details, just click on the "video, telemetry, navigation" link on the left side, then scroll down 4 or 5 pictures to see how he built his.

Building a 2.4ghz turnstile using phasing line is apparently a bit tricky since the lengths are so short. Cyberflyer struggled with signal uniformity on his turnstile until he replaced the phasing line with the hybrid quadrature.

it actually worked better far out than close up
I've noticed this too and I have a theory about it. I think that when the tx is in close, the receiver has to damp down it's sensitivity (via AGC) to avoid being swamped. This means that null spots in the transmitter antenna pattern are more obvious because the receiver gets caught with it's pants down. When you fly a bit farther out, the receiver maintains a higher gain, and the null spots become less obvious. That's my theory anyway. IA-flyer made a similar comment with his old setup (correct me if I'm wrong IA-flyer), saying that it didn't really get "on step" until the plane got a bit farther away.

Regards,
Bill