RCU Forums - View Single Post - MGT or upgraded Savage?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 10:48 PM
sovietspyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MGT or upgraded Savage?

Well, tried the MGT today and wow...that thing is a powerhouse. Brakes are nice as hell too. And end point adjustment kicks ass (Thank you airtronics)...so much better than screwing with the damn linkages. Anyways, I haven't even quite broken it in yet, went through four or five tanks.

Have a question though...according to the break in instructions, you're basically supposed to run the truck around right away. This kinda goes against everything I've heard. I was kinda wary...so the first two tanks I let it idle for the most part after changing the needle settings per manual, and also drove it around a tiny bit (not fast at all). The next two I took it out onto the street and did a couple of high speed runs, letting it hit second a few times. Was this a no-no? The manual if I read it correctly basically said to take the car out and did mention accelerating at WOT from a stand-still...on the first tank. So what gives? Also, how long does this "cleaning out" take. I'm guessing that it hasn't yet because sometimes when I go WOT it'll kinda stay slow and not upshift. In addition, the engine leaks if you prime it too much. I know you aren't supposed to prime it too much, but I found that odd. I noticed dripping down the flywheel and also out of the backplate(after I took off the pull-start to but the damn cord back in...spring popped out once, earned me two nice deep cuts, later filled with rubbing alcohol and fuel, in succession). This normal with this engine? Also there is air leaking in through the slide. If I take the air filter off and look into the carb, and then open it all the way and release, it'll close and a second later there will be little bubbles forming around the edges of the hole where the slide part is. This is coming from the slide thing. Normal? Aside from those things I'm very impressed with the truck, just sucked that the pull-start cord popped out but I guess that was my fault anyway. Was a ***** to start occasionally, and the engine is friggin hard to turn over...

Anyways, great truck, just wondering if I did the break in right and if those engine things are normal (keep in mind it leaks only when flooded and I keep priming it, not normal conditions obviously but still just wondering if that's to be expected).

And one more thing, I took off the header to make working with the backplate easier, and when I turned the engine over and moved the piston up through the cylinder, I heard some air leaking past the piston on part of the upstroke. Normal? Or did I do something right...

During break in, the engine temps never exceeded 240, including during WOT. Usually much lower though, so mixture is probably still rich.

Welp, time to go and endure another day of school...and all I can think about is getting home to my beloved MGT.