RCU Forums - View Single Post - FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers
Old 01-31-2004, 09:38 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: RE: FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers

I mounted the elevator pushrod according to the plans. Attached below is a diagram which shows the measurements of the pushrod and the split rods.

Now, this is just something I did on my own... a "mid fuselage support". I don't know if this airplane will need it, but an ounce of prevention... saves Murphy from coming to visit later. Basically, remember the 5/8 piece you cut from the engine box side? Take that piece, drill a 13/64 hole in the middle (provided your elevator servo is positioned to center the pushrod down the centerline of the fuselage) and then just slide it down the pushrod (holding the nose up) until it rests against bulkhead number 3 (the one that is 17 inches back from the rear bulkhead in the pipe-tunnel. After testing the fit, put a dab of epoxy on both sides, connect the clevis to the servo and lift the nose up so the mid-fuselage support piece slides back to bulkhead #3 and your done.

After I put the pushrod in and tested it, I realized the rear pushrod support helps, but does not eliminate the "aileroning" of the elevator halves (the pushrod flexes right and left inside the fuselage where the "Y" meets the pushrod. Knowing this, I would have done the same process above for bulkhead number 1 first (the one just in front of the elevator). Not a major deal, I'll fly it as is.

Now, if one uses the slop-free elevator linkup sold by Central Hobbies, one would have even a more precise setup still...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78853.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	96110