RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diamond Dust Launching
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 09:39 PM
Pickle-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dust Dolly

My dolly pics are too large and won't come in here. I will need to figure this out before I can get you any pics. My apologies. I will give a brief description. The pine board is about 3.5" wide and .75" thick. It is as long as the plane (not including the engine sticking out the front). Near the front end of the board, screw a 40 sized aluminum landing gear. I used large diameter wheels, about 3.75" diameter. This raises the front of the dolly higher than the back. On the back of the board, fasten some music wire so it goes straight back. Bend this wire at the back to make an axle for a 2.25" wheel. The bottom of the Dust sits on the top of this board. You must fit some tapered wood on top of the dolly, where the Dust angles up towards the engine in the front. This tapered portion and the wood board is to fit the contour of the Dust. A screw or pin is mounted vertically on the Dust behind the engine in the engine mounting plywood plate. It sticks down about 1/4" below the bottom of the Dust. This will fit in a loose hole in the tapered wood portion of the dolly. At the back of the Dust, between the elevons, drill and tap a #10 hole horizontally so that the hole is in the trailing edge as you look from the rear of the Dust. I used a threaded nylon rod to screw into this hole. Let is stick out about .5" Now mount a wire loop at the back of the dolly, so that the nylon rod goes through it. You're done. The plane will stay on the dolly until you hit the throttle. The vertical pin will move the dolly forward with the Dust. When the Dust gets enough air under it, it will lift out of the dolly and fly away. The rear horizontal rod just keeps the tail square on the dolly untill it lifts off. No worries of the tail hitting the front part of the dolly, the Dust is up and away before that.