RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dropouts with 200mw 2.4Ghz...
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dropouts with 200mw 2.4Ghz...

Unfortunately, what you have there is the absolute low end system. I know because that is what I started with.
The only thing you can do to improve that system is to hang the rx up as high as you can get it to get that antenna up in the air. You do not want anything to get between the two antennas as 1.2ghz does not like traveling thru bodies, plants, trees, etc.
The best way to tune in the signal is to remove the rx antenna, tune the knob VERY slowly till you get the best signal then replace the rx antenna.
Oh yeah, you can build one of those patch antennas. They do work very well.
Your next best alternative is to upgrade to one of those "800mw" Ebay systems that use a separate tx and cam. These can be had for what you paid for what you have now, generally a lot less, believe it or not.
DISCLAIMER: 1.2ghz is illegal to use in the US, especially the freqs those hongkong units use.
Chances of getting in trouble is probably nil tho. We have used the 800mw systems with good success. Check my website for "Grass Wired 2" video. That uses one of those systems.
I also have a comparison video that compares the system you have, one of the 800mw systems, an 800mw system with a better camera and a 900mhz (ham license required) system.

Now, if you REALLY want to do wireless video, cut to the chase and visit BlackwidowAV.com (plug plug plug!).
I have one of his 200mw systems and it rocks.
Shot this video using that:
[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/usbw1.wmv]Wired Ultra Stick 60[/link]

Broadband HIGHLY recommended.
ORIGINAL: loumorales

Can you help me get started? I bought a cheap @89.00 "spycam" video cam described in Quantum Hobbies as a good lightweight aerial cam (Perhaps cheap is my problem?). I got lots of dropouts with a few 5 second clear signals that made me itching to try harder. Can you suggest antenna or camera systems that work well? I have ZTV ELECTRONS Cam/TX, 50mw (cam and TX. in same little square about 1 inch on a side. (Tiny for cam and TX.) TX. has a 9volt pigtail. antenna is a 6" whip (thin wire) exiting the same 1" square. Pointing straight up. RX. is a 12volt, with a 6" "coiled whip? (thick) Pointing straight up. RX. has a fine tuning knob. System is 1.2 GHZ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lou