RCU Forums - View Single Post - ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Ta-152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Refund from Sierra

Hello, I've been following this post from the beginning and I thought I would just put my two cents worth in. I just finished installing a set of Darrels 4.5 scale P51 retracts. I had never seen any of his work before and bought these units blind if you will.When I opened the box, I was amazed at the quality and precision of these retracts. On a scale of one to ten these are definitely a ten. The best I've ever seen anyway. Very hard to tell from the full scale units. I am certain they will be the frosting on the cake when it's sitting for photos. I think the term patience is a virtue should apply here. Darrel was very up front and did what he said he was going to do. I also ordered his scale tail wheel retract, which retracts forward like the real one, it is also the best unit I have seen. These retracts are well thought out and the fits are toolmaker quality, not like one sees with some others who use lock tite to make up for tolerances. I have had experience with that while designing my P38,on the 4th flight the nose wheel collapsed and damaged the front of the plane.How much could I charge that company for my repair time because of their poor workmanship. Those retracts are still sitting in the draw.Granted these units were on the shelf, so there was no manufacturing or development time involved. Remember that the tooling process is already set up for these units. To be comparing this situation to Fusco is totally unfounded. If the rotating units Darrel is designing are going to be anything like the quality of his 51 units, it is going to take time to get them right. Remember that the wait and cost will be well worth it when your flying instead of fixing at the field. When these things hit the market, there's going to be a wait for them then also. Everyone will be retro fitting their junk with these units. Just a prediction for the future. For my self, I'm glad there's someone out there willing to produce a product that will enhance all the work that I put into my scale projects. JimG