RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can carbon rods be threaded?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2004, 10:34 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can carbon rods be threaded?

I would like to amplify on what Davidfee said. Since the fibers run axially (lengthwise) in CF rods, cutting threads would weaken CF more than it would steel wire. I would epoxy the clevis to the CF rod, and use a clevis on steel wire at the other end for adjustment.

The rod/clevis sets you buy from Du-Bro et al at your local hobby shop, have rolled threads. If you measure the unthreaded and the threaded portions, you will see that the threaded portion is slightly larger in diameter. These threads are not cut. The wire is fed into a machine that has three hardened steel thread dies that rotate and draw the wire in. As they draw the wire in, the dies apply pressure, and the thread is formed without cutting.

Since the material displaced when the dies form the thread has to go some where, it is squeezed up to form the crest of the thread.

Not only is this method more economical for mass production, it produces threads that are considerably stronger than cut threads. Almost all commercially available nuts and bolts are rolled.

Finally. . . I do not think that I would use a threaded CF rod in a high stress application, but it might work OK on a park flyer.[8D]