RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flitecraft founder Gary Leonard Passes
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002, 09:39 PM
KansasBill
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flitecraft founder Gary Leonard Passes

I received word today of the passing of a good friend and a true R/C hobby innovator, Gary Leonard, Sr., the founder of the Flitecraft and the Jayhawk Little Model Aircraft Company. Gary passed suddenly this past Wednesday, June 19th. Gary and his wife Alice have been living in Holland Michigan these last few years with their youngest son Jim.

From their little shop in Baldwin City Kansas, Gary and his family produced what I think were the first and some of the best and successful ARF airplanes to hit the R/C market. There was a long list of different models over the years, The Solo, Arrow, Cardinal, Minuteman, Shadow, Flitecraft Cub, Aerobat, Bonanza, Laser 300. All the Flitecraft planes were durable and rugged. Each had their own little quirks, some were really hot doggers, The Arrow and Shadow were bullets with a good 40 or 45 sized motor. Along with a successful line of planes, Gary and his sons also produced a wonderful line of flight caddys, and a highly successful line of R/C hydroplane airboats.

I came to know Gary as a dear and close friend. He and his wife Alice were like second parents to my daughter. You could always count on being welcome and spending hours at there shop and home.

Gary was as creative and as innovative a person as I've met in this hobby. From designing and building foam cutting machines to vacuum formers and rotational molders for making tires, Gary never lacked for ideas, and always had a pencil and cards in his pocket to scribble them down.

I truly have lost a dear friend, and the hobby has lost someone who helped bring R/C flying and models to the next level. I would love to hear form others of you in this vast R/C Universe who have known Gary or have flown one of his airplanes. I would ask those of you who would, to pray for Gary, his wife Alice and his Sons Gary Jr. and Jim, and for their wives and Gary's grandchildren. Thank you all.

God speed, Gentle winds and Soft Landings my cherished friend.

Bill