RCU Forums - View Single Post - Noise Limitations
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2002, 09:27 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise Limitations

We have the radio shack meter too but havent used it much.Good to hear its reliable.
Interesting that some orginizations ban "gassers"...and frankly it sounds like a knee jerk reaction.
There is nothing in modelling more irritating than a poorly muffled glow two stroke screaming away at 15000 rpm,IMO.
The technology exists to quiet all types of internal combustion engines used in models,and all it takes is commitment,attitude readjustment,and enforcement at the club level.This sounds easy and isnt.How many of these common types of offenders do you have in your club?
1..Mr Shallowpockets......I just spent $35 on this used .40 and cant see spending $40 for a muffler!

2-Mr Performance...Id like to use a quieter muffler but I,d lose at least 100 rpm off the top end.

3-Mr Gasser....No way Im paying $100 for a muffler!

4-Mr Inventor...Look at this muffler I just made out of a mustard tin.....didnt cost me nuthin!

5-Mr Crackof dawn......Yeah I know the club rule is no flying before 9:00 am,but theres no wind at 7:00 am.

Before anyone relegates me to the Olde Pharts club,let me say I fly mainly 1/3 and 1/4 gassers,and after some abortive experiments with B&B "mufflers",use Bisson designs which can be as low as the high 80 DB range and lower if I ask Jim Bisson for it.I have in my time flown old style pattern tuned pipes and all,formula one pylon with rear rotor .40s with no mufflers at all,etc etc........
To really get you thinking if you care at all,let me paraphrase an article I have in front of me from a Northern Mi newspaper dated June 19/02.
The headline reads"Despite noise complaints,voters OK remote-controlled airplanes"
Seems the members of the Traverse City club held an airshow on their leased site,which resulted in a deluge of noise complaints to City Council.The Township board shut the club down but later relented on acceptance by a vote of residents 188 for 140 against to allow them to continue flying under the following rules.
1-The parcel from which they fly must be at least 100 acres(75 football fields)
2-No more than two airplanes flying at one time.

3-DB level of 65 max at the edge of the parcel with the airplane in flight.
4-Flying allowed only four days a week........no Sundays

Welcome to the future!