RCU Forums - View Single Post - F2G Corsair Build
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: F2G Corsair Build Sneak Peak!!!

I wish it was the case, but no... I have the ::cough::Hangar::COUGHCOUGH::9::arf::coughcough

I'm planning to change the scheme and add some flaps real gear with doors. Still debating whether to do it military or Cook Cleland's Race 92 FG1-D.... I WILL be doing a corsair Kit as soon as i move
Haha, nothing to be ashamed of, do what you can. Making modifications to an ARF Corsair will make it interesting, sounds like a good plan to me. What 'kit' did you have in mind? Lot's of stuff here on RCU to help you along when you do start to build, that's for sure.

Here's my idea on the cowl, in 3 stages. First, I'm going to spin a plug that reflects the bow in the bottom half of the scale cowl. Then, I'll spin a plug that reflects the top contour (pretty much straight) Last, I'll split both of the plugs horizontally, glue them together, then sand and blend the bottom half into the top half where they meet. When I look at scale drawings, I notice from the top view, the lines of the cowl sides are consistant and parallel, wich leads me to believe the 'bow' is confined to the bottom half of the cowl, meeting the top half contour at 3 o'clock and 9 o'cloc, giving the apearance of a uniform cylinder from the top view. Hopefully, this method will eliminate alot of carving,
Good plan Ted, I'm going to go with the "sanding for hours method". I don't know if I can trust a 3 view, but looking at the pictures you are probably right, good observation! Definitely keep us posted on your progress. I'm using the 1" pink foam from Low's, I see that it is available in at least up to 2" but I couldn't find any. I use 3M spray adhesive to hold them together.

How are you planning on tackling the canopy?
I'm going to carve mine out of clay, then make a mold and the plug from that. I made a small vacuum-forming table and with a 6hp shop vac if I can get the plastic heated right I should be able to pull a decent canopy, I just hope I ordered enough plastic! I'll keep everyone posted on my trials. It should work ok.

Dion