RCU Forums - View Single Post - mammoth
Thread: mammoth
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Mxracer45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: mammoth

ORIGINAL: simplythi

Well the mammoth is cool, but I dislike it for 1 reason and 1 reason only, the parts on it are extremely weak. If you want to bash and grind, get the savage. I bought the mammoth 2 days ago and already I bent the front and rear shock towers, and broke the front control arms trying to jump ramps. The thing I like most about the mammoth is its speed, acceleration is a little slow but once it picks up, it'll smoke anything in its way. Oh yea head lights etc, I think it would be a waste of time, it would be cool if you just use it for show but when your running it I suggest you leave all that out. You cant have any fun with a monster truck if you dont bash and grind!
Dude i dont know wat ur doing but u r obviously landing very very very veery wrong or jumping 50 feet in the air lol. The mammoth can take much more than that. Check out this video of this stock mammoth and tell me its not durable! http://media.hobbypeople.net/video/2003mammothweb.rm ALso these arms look pretty beefy to me. ANd here is sumthin i picked up from rcxtreme review- Testing The Mammoth is a monster, so a monster truckin we will go. I tested the truck on asphalt, dirt, rocks, grass, and mud. Recent rains meant all of the surfaces I tested on were a bit damp. The 24.7 engine broke in nicely after about 8 tanks of fuel.

RTR Gear
Radio: Hitec Lynx
Servo(s): Hitec HS-311
Receiver: Hitec
Engine: XTM 24.7
Our Test Gear
Fuel: Trinity 30% Platinum, $12.99
Battery: Trinity, 5308, $29.99
Fuel bottle: Venom, 2026, $8.99
Acceleration The Mammoth takes off with an adequate amount of force. No wheelies, but the truck quickly gets up to speed and shifts into second. On loose dirt you could see all four tires digging in to pull the truck up to speed. The rear end squatted nicely as the truck leapt forward.
Rating: 8

Top Speed The Mammoth tops out at an incredible 46MPH. As fast as any monster we've tested. Once the Mammoth was up and running it only stalled a few times. I put at least 3/4 of a gallon of fuel through it, and it ran very solid. That's good since there's no auto start option other than a bump starter. Back to the topic at hand, top speed was not mind blowing, but very solid for this size of a truck.
Rating: 10

Braking The Hitec HS-311 servo isn't a torque beast, but it did a hell of a job, along with the four vented disks, of bringing the Mammoth to a stop quickly. The truck's wheels come to a halt as soon as you throw on the binders. While braking the truck stays relatively true and straight. Even when you do turn the wheels it remains very predictable and consistent.
Rating: 9

Low Speed Handling The Mammoth has a very long wheelbase relative to other Monster trucks, and that translates into performance characteristics both at slow speeds and high. At low speeds the long wheelbase hampers the truck's ability to be nimble. You can cut a tight corner, but it takes a little practice to get the truck to turn on a fifty-cent piece (dime wouldn't work here). On power there is a noticeable push, while off power the weight transfers to the front and allows you to turn tighter.

High Speed Handling At high speeds the longer wheelbase is a very good thing. Whether you're going straight or cutting a turn the Mammoth handles very very well at high-speeds. It's very stable and soaks up any rough stuff. Also, the truck has a very low overall CG considering its suspension travel. This helped the truck's high speed handling. The only compromise I noticed at high-speeds was the steering servo allowing the wheels to cut back to center once in a while. Tightening the servo save helped this a bit.

Rough-Track Handling At low speeds the truck's suspension seems a bit thick. There was a noticeable amount of bobble where I thought the truck should have soaked up more. At least this was what I noticed when going slow. Thankfully the Mammoth is a lot more fun when you're going fast. And to that the truck handles everything nicely at speeds. That has a little something to do with the truck's long wheelbase.

Jumping The long wheelbase keeps the truck relatively level on most jumps. On some jumps that had a shorter approach the truck wanted to nose down at times. Keeping your finger on the throttle helps to combat this effect. Overall the truck is very neutral on the jumps.

Tuning During testing the only tuning adjustments I made were to the engine. Aside from that there wasn't really much to change. The wheelbase can be lengthened or shortened, the damping can be changed and the caster angles can be changed. Aside from that there aren't too many other things to adjust on the truck out of the box.
Rating: 7

Damage The upper suspension arms that I thought might have been an issue proved to be a non-issue. After some hard hits with some strewn rocks and curbs nothing was damaged on the Mammoth. There were a couple of loose screws alter the first few runs, but nothing major that a screwdriver and thread lock couldn't help. Inspect the truck after each of the first five runs. THE MATERIAL THAT XTM USES IS A LITTLE FLEXIBLE FOR THE LIKES OF A RACER, BUT AS FAR AS BASHING GOES IT'S PROVEN TO BE SOMEWHAT IDIOT PROOF. I can't say the same for the pull-start. The knot at the end of the string inside the pull-start is too small and pulls out easily. It happened twice to me. I was able to fix it with a larger knot.
Rating: 7

And the mammoth is clocked at 52mph by RCCA on the street. The testing from rcxtreme was on the dirt i believe. You about to get your self a winner IMO sypro [8D][8D][>:][>:][>:]