RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stupid Warning Labels On RC Kits
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 12:42 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Warning Labels On RC Kits

How can a servos, glowhead, transmitter, or even airplane kit cause cancer? This is junk science at its worst !!

First off, I'll grant you that these warnings are usually the result of some idiot doing something that defies common sense and then expecting to get paid for it. If it wasn't for the lawsuit happy climate in this country you would have to read warning like "caution, coffee is hot"...

However, I wouldn't doubt that all those things could contain carcinogens. The warnings refer to chemicals used in the production of these items. Electronics production (ie the PCB's in the servos/transmitter/receiver) is very hazardous, using all kinds of nasty chemicals and acids. There is always a VERY MINUTE possibility that traces of these chemicals remain on the boards. Also, the electronic components themselves contain substances that would not be too healthy.

The same goes for glowplugs and engines. I doubt the platinum in the electrode is very good for you, not too mention that plating processes used with engine liners use all kinds of acids and poisonous chemicals.

Not junk science, just overcautious companies afraid of being sued out of existence.

-Jeremy