RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spectra Module
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2004, 10:12 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spectra Module

ORIGINAL: Waco Driver

Futabas are well tested but not with the Spectra module.
You don't need to crash the unit in the testing. Thats the purpose of the spectrum analyzer. It tells you if it is working without crashing it. And more importantly it tells you that you won't crash someone else.
Dirtybird

A couple of years back we had a discussion on RCO about the Spectra/Futaba 8U combination. To refresh, I stated that our club had carried out a spectrum analyzer check on 60 plus transmitters belonging to our club members in order to determine if they were within the AMA/FCC guidelines of frequency deviation and narrowband requirements. The tests were carried out by our club president who has a Phd in Electrical Engineering using an HP spectrum analyzer worth I was told $25,000. One of the results was that my Spectra/8U had the cleanest output of all transmitters tested.

In your reply I believe you stated words to the effect that a simple SA test proved very little with respect to the possibility of my T/X interfering with other models. You did not define what you would have considered a valid test.

In view of your above quotes, have you changed your mind ?

I am quite aware of the AMA's position as well as those of Futaba/Hitec on this subject.
OK I will agree that the 60 or so transmitters you tested are probably safe to use. At least under the ambient conditions you used.
I believe if you would check with the FAA you will get what is considered a valid test. Until you get that and perform your tests according to those specifications I will not accept your data. I will need a certification signed by your testers and a guarantee that Futaba and Hitec will not change their configuration.