RCU Forums - View Single Post - HOB .40 P-51 Mustang Conversion
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 02:38 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HOB .40 P-51 Mustang Conversion

I'm almost in an identical boat. After getting a lot of recommendations, I'm buying an Astro 25geared motor and probably an AXI 2820/10 or /12 for my two fun scale Dynaflite .40 size models. I might go to the 4120 AXI but they use 13-14" props so I would have to lengthen the landing gears one inch including a longer tail wheel wire for good prop clearance
( fixed gear on both due to wing structure design). I am holding off on LiPolies ( I'm cheap and don't like lengthy charging times or mulitple expensive packs) I plan on using 10-12 cell Sanyo CP 1700 - 2400mah nicad packs for keep weight down. There are many other possible motor/battery pack/prop solutions. I would advise you to keep weight down while having adequate power and duration. Speed controls with BEC save weight of a 3-cell flight pack.
P51's need plenty of take off speed using nudges of right rudder and like to be landed relatively fast using rudder to level wings and landed on the mains. Avoid sharply banked turns and keep moderate speed when turning onto final. P51's fly well going fairly fast but can fall out of the air in tip stalls when going too slow in nose up attitude. Good luck with yours and wish me some with mine!