RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glueing Balsa, CA or Wood Glue?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 05:29 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Glueing Balsa, CA or Wood Glue?

>It seems that most kits recommend using CA to glue balsa structures. Is it better to use CA to tack(spot) glue joints together then comeback with wood glue to offer better >penetration, joint strength and flex to the plane?

This topic is nearly as opinionated as religion. Everyone seems to have their own special technique. I personally use a whole slew of different glues, but primarily use CA by itself. You can tack with CA then follow up with alphetic if you like, but I personally do not feel it's necessary with our models. If the parts fit together tightly, almost any glue is strong enough that the wood will break before the glue joint fails/

>Does CA become brittle after a certain period of time whereas the wood glue won't?

Some brands are more likely to than others. Old glue is also more likely to cure brittle.

>Also, if one plans to fiberglass, does CA or Wood Glue react with resin?

No, there is no reaction.

>P.S. I am starting out with a Goldberg Super Chipmunk and want to use the most proven construction techniques when it comes to glueing joints.

Make sure all joints are tight and use whatever glue you prefer. You won't have any problems and the model will last for many years.

John