RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glueing Balsa, CA or Wood Glue?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 06:37 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glueing Balsa, CA or Wood Glue?

One thing to keep in mind is that Thin CA does not bond lite ply well. I like to use CA for tight balsa joints. Tightbond II for gluing lite ply. Medium CA for lite ply that needs to use CA. Such as a fuse assembly where you need some wicking action. I like really like the wood glue though. It dries very fast for me. Around an hour and I can handle the parts if careful. I'm just starting an SE. I'm planning on using wood glue if I'm almost ready to stop or I can go onto other things. One thing I noticed with wood glue is that it will shrink as drying. Not a great gap filler. One trick is Thin CA with baking soda. Put the baking soda on first. Blow it, brush it, shake it into position. Don't get to close, apply thin CA and you have a rock hard bond. This stuff doesn't sand well so be careful. Even small particles will bond and make sanding a pain. Anyways, get some of all the glues, by the end of the plane you'll be reaching for the best glue. My last plane has CA, CA+, Tightbond II, Epoxy and Gorilla glue on it.