RCU Forums - View Single Post - Red Flag was flying high.
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed

I have to jump in on this one too.

When I moved here (Alaska) I had already been flying RC since the late 1960s. I joined the club, went to the meetings, and soon afterward, went to the flying field.

No one was rude or insulting, but several of the more experienced flyers came over and casually took a look at my equipment while chatting a little, and sort of got a feel for my experience. I could sense this, and volunteered a little extra information on how I built the plane, some past experiences, etc., and everyone was more relaxed. I also made a point of asking "where not to fly", etc., so they knew I was paying attention.

From the few polite questions they asked me, they would've known if I was a newbie in disguise, and then would've intervened and offered some help. Why not? When you help someone, you feel better, they feel better, and we all learn from the experience.

Safety is FIRST in my book, and it begins on the building table. If you and your plane are safe, THEN you can enjoy the hobby so much more. Nobody wants a crash, even if it's done with no injuries. It just creates bad vibes in general, and discourages new people from participating.

When you just stand by at a distance and do nothing, you are asking for trouble.