RCU Forums - View Single Post - LT-40 Century Model
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 07:14 PM
bojangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-40 Century Model

Quick facts: I'm 65 but not retired. From records, photos, and a good memory, I estimate about 99 planes have left my hangar over the past 50 years, about every design and configuration you can think of. My records show 28 kits in the total.

So what does an old timer build for his 100th plane? Decided on a kit this time, tired of scratch building, although the kit will undoubtedly have to be upgraded (bashed?) to my liking. Has to be big, bright and colorful for these tired old eyes. Slow when I want it to be, but lots of fun when I'm in the mood, a workhorse, able to handle our sometimes 25+ mph winds.
I grew up with Sig, first of their kits was a Senior Kadet. So I decided to go Sig for this one. After months of research, I narrowed it down to 2. I didn't order the LT-40, got another (to remain nameless). The kit was a mess, must have been made at 4:59 Friday night. Bottom line, I hated it. I called Sig, sweetest customer service lady I have ever talked to. She made me sweat a little, as I didn't get the kit direct from them. Then she said Sig doesn't want unhappy customers, and that if I would send the kit to them, she would replace it with any plane in their line within the same price range at no cost whatsoever to me. The LT-40, which was my original second choice, is on the way. I think fate meant for me to have this one. Thanks Sig, you were the first, and still the very best!

It will remain a trike gear for my cow pasture fields. I have a .46FX just waiting. Exterior and/or redundant plywood will be replaced with balsa. Dihedral will be a compromise of stability and agility. It will bear the name "Sky King", an alias, my AMA Number 47446. If flaps are a good mod, I would consider them.

Other than that, I am open for suggestions, mods, improvements, pitfalls, personal successes and failures, colors and schemes including best orientation colors/contrasts.

As a rancher, I am going into my busy season. Progress will be slow, with much study and planning. I plan to post a few pictures, but mostly of my own little "trade secrets" of construction learned over the years.

Thanks for your input

Bob "When life throws you lemons, make lemonade"