RCU Forums - View Single Post - LT-40 Century Model
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 PM
bojangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LT-40 Century Model

I called Tatone today for information. Their part number 5510 is suitable for planes up to 10 pounds, with allowable wheel size up to 1-3/4". The double horn that goes on the rudder is for 3/16", however a horn for 1/4" thick rudder is available separately for $1.10 from Tower.

Alas, my LT-40 is on backorder. It seems that Sig has run low on balsa. So I'm rounding up the things to make the dragger conversion. The next thing I need is a dural mount for the mains, and information as to optimum placement.

Whoever said "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" was wrong. After using trike gear for many years, I am now convinced that a tail dragger has many benefits to offset any handling difficulty. A friend just built an LT-25 that came with a pull-pull setup. On the maiden, he was practicing taxiing and said "hey, I think this thing wants to fly". He pointed it down the runway, gave it full throttle with a little up elevator at first. When the tail came up, he was expecting it to veer left, it never did. It went straight down the runway and took off. This was his first taildragger. He was impressed, I'm convinced.

If anyone else has experience with the LT-40 dragger conversion, please comment.

Bob