RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC shops in or outside London?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 11:45 AM
NCBrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC shops in or outside London?

A word of advice regarding taking airplane kits onto an airliner.

I live in the USA, but I recently went back to England to attend a funeral. I did a little shopping while I was there, and ended up purchasing a Wot4 kit, and a used Super Tigre engine, among other things.

I put all of the small stuff including the engine in one of my suitcases which I checked in as baggage. I took all of the hardware and metal parts out of the kit box, and put them in a suitcase also. The rest of the kit I wrapped in brown paper, intending to take it as carry on.

At the check in desk I was asked whats in the box. I replied that it was a model airplane kit and it was very fragile so I would like to take it carry on. The supervisor was called to look at the box, and said that it was too large to fit in an overhead bin, so it would have to be checked in as baggage. I asked if it could be handled separately from all of the other baggage because it was so fragile. The check in supervisor said that I could take it to the gate, and it could be "gate checked" and loaded on the plane after all of the other baggage. I agreed, and proceeded onto security.

At security I was not asked once about the box. I put it in the scanner, and it went through without anyone asking.

At the gate, one of the airline agents asked what was in the box. I replied that it was a model airplane kit, and explained that the check in agent told me I could "gate check" it. She said that she would ask the pursar if it could be put in a closet on the plane. I had to sit and wait until all of the other passengers had boarded the plane, and then the agent asked the pursar about my kit box. The pursar went and looked for a closet with enough space, and came back with the good news. My Wo4 got to ride back across the atlantic first class.

From my experience, I would suggest that you do not try to take more than one kit box back with you. I was lucky, if the box had been any bigger, I might not have got it on the plane, and who knows what condition it would have been in if it had to ride in the cargo hold. The box for the Wot4 is not large at all. Maybe you could bring a tape measure with you so that you can measure an overhead bin. Then you would know the biggest size box that you could take on the plane.

I do not know what to suggest about radio transmitting or receiving equipment. I think I may have seen something stating that R/C equipment is not allowed on the aircraft. I would ask at the airport before you leave Norway.

One other thing. The trip I took was on American Airlines. Each airline has different policies regarding carry on baggage. Check with your airline before leaving Norway, to see what their carry on policy is.