RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heckler 3D
Thread: Heckler 3D
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 08:17 PM
dalbert02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heckler 3D

Well, I finally got the chance to maiden mine. It's only been a few weeks, but between a newborn baby son, running my own business, and sucky weather on my days off, she finally took to the air. I am not an expert pilot, I think I am a better builder then flyer, but I've had a Hanger9 stick for almost 5 years and it has been thoroughly re-kitted at least three times. That gives you some kinda reference as to my abilities or lack thereof. Well, to get warmed up I did some fast flying with my Sig Wonder with an OS 15fp and a custom exhaust. Since I am also using a new radio (Futaba 9C), I spent some time adjusting the idle and engine kill mixes. Once that was figured out, I set her on the taxi way and she tracked nice and straight to the runway. At the runway I slowly applied power and she went nearly perfectly straight with just a tad of corrective rudder. In about 20 feet she was airborn at about 1/4 throttle. I just flew the pattern a few times and to my utter astonishment, I did not need to adjust any trims. I always have to adjust trims at least a click or two on a maiden flight! Anyway, after that suprise wore off, I tried pointing the nose in the sky and moving the controls to keep her hovering. She definately hovers longer then I could hover the stick (1-3 seconds), but I couldn't get more then about 8-10 seconds before I'd loose it. I just push the throttle forward and she let out a BWWRAAAPPP!!! kinda sound and take off like a rocket. Somehow the skin resonates the tuned pipe's exhaust to a really loud farting sound. Sounds kinda wierd to me, but no harm done and it doesn't smell like it sounds so I'm okay with it. I then proceeded to fly a little lower and slower. It's amazing, but after a little practice I could fly this thing in a baseball field. I've never owned a real 3D capable plane, but this thing is really awe inspiring. At first I was flying 5 mistakes high, but after just a few minutes I was down to about 25-30 feet (around the hight of a two story house). If I ran into problems, I just applied power and forced her up and out. I did a couple of touch and goes which were pretty cool by my standards as I just point her into the wind and add elevator until she floats down.....with almost zero ground speed! I can't wait to take her up in the air again, but it will probably be a few weeks. Hopefully I can convince the wife to take some pictures. Here are my specs in case you are interested:

Stock Heckler 3D
OS 46FX with Macs tuned pipe APC 11x4 soon to be 11.5x4
Futaba micro 7Ch reciever 148DF
(2) Kokam 1500 lithium cells
home made voltage regulator circuit breaking the voltage down to 6v
Hitec 5245MG digitals on the rudder, ailerons, and elevator
Tower Hobbies TS10 on the throttle
Tail feathers reinforced with kevlar thread and CA