RCU Forums - View Single Post - newbie- wanting to get powered w/electric
Old 06-07-2004, 08:55 PM
alphawolf442

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie- wanting to get powered w/electric

I'm a newbie to the airplane scene, and I'm wanting to fly electric. I have a Super Stick 40 thats never seen an engine, and I'd like to make it electric and train with it. What motor size, setup, speed control, battery pack size, etc should I use?? I've been into r/c cars for several years, and now want to "spread my wings", so to speak. My reasoning for wanting to go electric is 1) I've never been very adept at nitro engines- tuning, upkeep, etc. 2) I kinda have the feeling that learning with electric will be a little easier (please correct me if i'm wrong on this point) 3)this is also for my son, who, like me, is also nitro challenged.

I've also been looking at an "Acro 50", which is very similar to a Kyosho Flip 3D. Here are the specs on this plane-----

wing span- 55.3"
length- 55.9"
wing area- 715 sq"
"take off" weight (?)- 63 oz (3 lbs, 15 oz)
designed for engine size .36 to .46 2 stroke, or a .50 4 stroke

Is there a way to convert this to electric also? Is there some formula you use to determine electric motor size for different styles of planes designated for glow power? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope the pic of the Acro 50 takes ok.

Will
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16640.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	140811