RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1024 Resolution
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2004, 06:42 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: 1024 Resolution

It's a shame they don't still make linear servos so that at least we could choose. The linear gives you no choice about the force/distance that you get with a rotary arm, as the force applied by the linear is fixed, and to get less travel you may have to turn down the Tx travel rather than move the pushrod in a hole thereby getting more force that you can do on a rotary. I wouldn't say linear are superior to rotary, but there are applications in which a linear is better than a rotary. Throttle, and elevator Y pushrods come to mind as great places for linear servos. I still have an old Futaba linear servo which I bought for a model with a Y elevator pushrod so I did not get differential travel. When we did not have travel adjust in our Tx it was a bit harder to use a linear servo, now that we have travel adjust we can make best use of linear servos and they stop making them!

Another thing against linear servos is that the linkages generally mean that a linear push gives an exponential effect at the control surface, which is often not wanted. The irony is that a rotary servo gives a more linear response at the control surface. The reason is that as the control surface and its horn rotate, it takes less travel of the pushrod/horn to make the surface rotate a given amount. At the same time, the rotary servo is giving less travel and the two tend to balance each other, but a linear servo will still be giving the same amount of travel to a control horn that needs less travel so you get exponential. In these days of the more advanced computer sets allowing both positive and negative expo, the Tx can take care of it if it becomes a problem for the handling.

H